Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Caucusing


So I went to caucus tonight. It was an experience to say the least. I got there right at 7pm and had to wait until 830-9pm to even get inside the building to caucus. Once we got in, we had to stand there to wait for some forms to fill out to establish which candidate we wanted to caucus for. We waited there for about 15 minutes to figure out what to do and there was a lot of confusion. Nobody knew what they were doing. After filling out the form, we had to wait and vote for the precinct captain. Again, it was very confusing. There was one guy in a red shirt who acted like he knew what was going on and another with a white shirt who had no idea what was going on. There was one lady who was going around yelling "If you want Obama, vote for the guy in the white shirt." So, when we went to vote for precinct captain by separating into two different lines, the guy with the white shirt won. This is due to the fact that most people thought by going to that one side meant that they were voting for Obama. I wish that I would have yelled at that woman because she was making a confusing process even more confusing.


Overall, it was a real cool process. I now can say that I waited 2 hours to caucus in the 2008 Primary. I got to meet some people from my community and just listen to some like minded people. It also gave me a sense of pride that I never really felt before. It was just a great night to be an American and get to take part in our government. Despite the annoyance of waiting outside for 2 hours in the cold and all of the confusion that went on inside, I am glad that I got to take part of this process. I am also really glad that there were about 1,000 people at my polling place and several hundred people who took time to take part of the caucus.

No comments: